Philips Portable DVD Player PD9000 22.9 cm (9") LCD 5-hr playtime
poor battery life; no "remaining time" feature
You can read about the features of this unit elsewhere, so I won't take up space. My negatives w/ this player are:
* The advertised 5 hour battery life is actually 3 1/2 hours on a full charge. Also the fully charged battery drains when playing dvd's with the provided electical chord, because when it is turned off, it goes into the charging mode for hours; this is probably not good because rechargable batteries have a limited charge/ discharge life.
* I cannot use my good noise cancelling headphones w/this unit because the motor causes a bad hum; other non-noise cancelling phones work fine, and the sound is excellent.
* As expected w/a small portable, the onboard speakers are quite poor; they don't distort, but the top volume is so low that you can not hear it distinctly over 4 feet away; it's ok setting on my lap.
* There is an "elapsed time" feature, but I miss not having a "remaining time" feature to see how much time is left on the disc.
* The bright green "on" light on the front of the unit is very distracting, but it is easily covered w/ opaque tape or a folded piece of heavy paper.
* The 0-9 keypad on the tiny remote must serve some function, but I've yet to figure it out, and there is no mention in the manual about what they are for.
15 January 2013
just got it
great product, bright picture, perfect sound, light weight, easy to watch while resting in recliner
29 December 2012
Good design and easy to yuse.
I am quite familiar with Philips prducts as I lived in Europe for many years. This portable DVD player meets all expectations. You may be interested in one observation I have,which is that some of my PAL region DVDs do not play. This may be a problem with the DVD rather than any shortcoming of the player. As I also have a regular Philips DVD player which plays NTSC and Pal regions this is not a major problem to me.
18 October 2012
Once I got the hang of all the many features, it was smooth sailing with this product. Love the portability of this product. Have only used it at home so far. Have not had the opportunity to use it for travel yet.
16 October 2012
great product for toddlers!
we got this for our daughter for plane rides and long car rides and have not regretted the purchase for one minute! it holds up to a two-year-old's abuse and keeps going! we originally bought one a year ago and have used it quite a bit. about a month or two ago, the screen started to go out on it - it would lose its color, or go black or blue. i have read the same thing in other reviews. we did go ahead and buy the same model again. i know it 'only' lasted a year but it went through lots of drops and messes so we were fine with investing in it again.
3 September 2012
This product has serious graphics/video issues.
I received a PD9000 this past December and within 2 weeks it developed video/graphics problems. I received a replacent and it had the same issues. I would not recommend this product.
2 September 2012
I love my Philips DVD player
We use this player to keep the kids and adults entertained when traveling or when we need a break. I am delighted with the product.
23 August 2012
We have gone through 2 cords. I am ordering our 3rd one.
16 August 2012