The Military and Veteran Caregiver Experience Journey is intended to capture the lived experiences of many military caregivers, providing a foundation for the military caregiver support community to begin thinking about addressing caregiver needs with greater understanding and coordination. By establishing a common platform, the Journey will help advocacy groups, healthcare leaders, Veterans and their families, caregivers, providers and members of the support system to:
- Understand the caregiver journey, stages and milestones
- Recognize caregiver’s critical role and status by helping to normalize their experience and decreasing their sense of loneliness
- Become aware of what’s to come by educating about challenges
- Support service providers to identify the needs of the caregiver and recommend benefits, support and services
- Help caregivers to navigate issues that may arise, and organize and plan for the best care possible
We have discovered through our research, caregivers and the military caregiver support community are eager for a platform that accurately conveys their experiences and compels community-driven solutions. The Military & Veteran Caregiver Experience Journey serves as an anchor to empower the military caregiver support community to communicate the necessary requirements to align resources and fill the gaps in care. The insights and learnings derived from the map will help foster improvement of existing services, development of new innovations, and be used as a platform for continuous learning.
As the role of the military caregiver continues to evolve, their challenges will too. But with the development of the Military & Veteran Caregiver Journey Map, our goal is to continue closing the gaps around caregivers’ unmet needs.
Map will be complete in November 2018.