So what things should you emphasize when you are teaching your child to manage their asthma? According to the Asthma Handbook, these skills should include:
- Knowledge of how to use inhalers or nebulizers
- Using a peak flow meter chart or other similar tool to assess lung function daily
- Understanding what signs and symptoms indicate a flare-up or exacerbation
- Knowing what the individual asthma action plan is and having it written down
- Understanding why regular MD visits are important
Obviously, very young children will not be able to grasp all of this, but it is important for parents to realize that this education will be an ongoing process and some basic self- management techniques can be taught to even preschool age children.