1. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2017 Report. http://goldcopd.org/gold-2017-global-strategy-diagnosis-management-prevention-copd/. Accessed June 1, 2017.
2. Chevrolet JC, Jolliet P, Abajo B, Toussi A, Louis M. Nasal positive pressure ventilation in patients with acute respiratory failure. Difficult and time-consuming procedure for nurses. Chest. 1991;100(3):775-782.
3. Nava S, Evangelisti I, Rampulla C, Compagnoni ML, Fracchia C, Rubini F. Human and financial costs of noninvasive mechanical ventilation in patients affected by COPD and acute respiratory failure. Chest. 1997;111(6):1631-1638.
4. Murphy PB, Rehal S, Arbane G, Bourke S, Calverley PMA, Crook AM, Dowson L, Duffy N, Gibson GJ, Hughes PD, Hurst JR, Lewis KE, Mukherjee R, Nickol A, Oscroft N, Patout M, Pepperell J, Smith I, Stradling JR, Wedzicha JA, Polkey MI, Elliott MW, Hart N. Effect of Home Noninvasive Ventilation With Oxygen Therapy vs Oxygen Therapy Alone on Hospital Readmission or Death After an Acute COPD Exacerbation A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. Published online May 21, 2017. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.4451.
5. Gunning KE. Pathophysiology of respiratory failure and indications for respiratory support. Surgery (Oxford). 2003;21:72-76.
6. National Quality Measures Clearinghouse (NQMC). Measure summary: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): hospital 30-day, all-cause, risk-standardized readmission rate following acute exacerbation of COPD hospitalization. National Quality Measures Clearinghouse (NQMC) Web site. https://www.qualitymeasures.ahrq.gov/summaries/summary/49195/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-copd-hospital-30day-allcause-riskstandardized-readmission-rate-following-acute-exacerbation-of-copd-hospitalization. Published October 1, 2015. Accessed June 1, 2017.