In 1998, Don McQuinn, a retired Marine, was at a writer’s conference in Maui. While playing volleyball in the hotel pool, Don suddenly collapsed. Police were nearby and rushed to the scene with a Philips’ AED, where they shocked Don twice to revive him.
A year before this incident occurred, Don’s longtime physician asked about his family history. Don mentioned the long list of men in his family that had heart-related problems. No precautions were taken at that time since Don had no history of cardiac problems, was in impeccable shape and passed every test with flying colors.
Prior to 1998, Don didn’t know that AEDs even existed. Now, he notices and seeks out the device that helped save his life in every public setting. Today, Don is a writer who has published eleven novels. He resides in Seattle and still, 18 years later, thanks Philips for making AEDs, saying that beyond choosing the right woman, Philips’ AEDs are one of the reasons he’s still alive today.