Trump Pushes Providers to Disclose Prices
President Donald Trump has issued an executive order directing hospitals to publicly disclose their prices for medical services. The order directs federal agencies to issue regulations that would accomplish the following:
- Require hospitals to publicly post their charges, including rates negotiated with insurers, in an easy-to-understand format.
- Seek comment on a proposal requiring providers and insurers to provide patients with information about expected out-of-pocket costs before they receive care.
- Report on ways to eliminate impediments by federal agencies or the private sector to providing price and quality transparency for patients.
- Create a “health quality roadmap” that aligns, adopts, and publishes quality measures across federal health care programs.
- Provide greater public access to de-identified health data to facilitate development of tools to help patients make better informed decisions about health goods and services.
- Expand the ability of patients to use health savings accounts and pair such accounts with high-deductible health plans that cover low-cost preventive care for individuals with chronic conditions.
- Report on steps to reduce surprise medical billing.