The SleepMapper mobile application (“App”) uses personal data collected or processed by Philips’ sleep related devices and products.
This Privacy Notice applies to personal data processed by the by the App which is controlled by or under control of Koninklijke Philips N.V. or any of its subsidiaries (”Philips”). This is a notice of our Privacy practices, this is not a contract or agreement.
Data collected and used
Account and Product data
The account data collected by the App includes your name, email address and password. If you choose to register your product we will collect the device serial number and the CTN product number found on the label of the box, production date, firmware and product revision date of the device(s).
The data collected is used to create and manage your App account. Your account will be used to send you a welcoming email to verify your email address, to communicate with you in response to your inquiries, and to send you strictly service-related announcements, for instance, if our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance]. Your account will be used to uniquely identify you and provide information related to your use of your device(s) and your sleep data. We will use the device serial number and CTN product number to identify the type of device you use if you call our Customer Care service for product support and questions. We will use your registration information to create and manage your account or register your purchase, or order a product or service.
Data provided by you
You will create a user profile in the App, which will include you entering your gender, birth date (month/year), your average sleep time and your target sleep time. You can also decide whether you would like to receive promotional information and communications related to Philips products and services.
- The data collected is used to provide you with a view of your usage of the device(s) in order to help you improve your going to sleep, sleeping and waking-up habits and make changes to help you achieve your sleep goals and improve your sleeping routine. We do this by measuring your goal progress and by providing product information such as when you are going to sleep, sleep, waking-up and product recommendations about how to meet your goals. We collect your age to calculate your personalized sleep score. If you opt in for promotional information and communication you will receive updates about new product offerings and/or services from Philips.
Device and product data
If you use the SmartSleep device, when you install the App you can synchronize the data from the SmartSleep device to the App. The data recorded by the device includes sleep patterns, signal, and impedance, sleep metrics such as: when you went to sleep, when you wake, your total sleep time, your slow wave activity, tones delivered by the device, duration of tones delivered, your sleep stages, how many times you wake at night, and for how long.
If you use Somneo, the Device records the settings you have enabled such as functions like alarm, relaxed breathing, dusk function (e.g. what time the alarm is set up for, chosen light curve and sound), night light, and start bedtime. It also records your environmental sensor data such as temperature, humidity, light level and sound pressure]. Somneo also tracks your unique User Device number, session and usage data (e.g. light, sound, display and feature usage), firmware updates, Device resets, location, time zone, WiFi signal strengths, which provides information about your use of the Device. The collected data will be synchronized via WiFi with the App and/or other data storage.
We do not record any sounds or conversations; the device hardware is only capable of measuring the sound pressure level by hardware and not the actual sound itself.
- The data collected by these devices is used to provide you and Philips with information related to your use of the device. The App might use this data to display whether you are achieving improved sleep over time by tracking and visualizing your sleep results or to display the environmental data and sleep related events. Philips uses this data to improve your experience with these products (e.g. quality and functionality) and other Philips products. We also use this data to provide you with relevant tips and to conduct research to develop and enhance your experience with these products and innovate and improve these products.
Cookies and Data Analytics
- The data collected is used to provide App functionality and identify areas for App improvement.
- This data collected is used to determine the usage trends of the App from a broad geographic area for instance.
The App may request permission(s) to access mobile connectivity (e.g. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) or data (e.g. date, time and time zone) on your mobile device.
- We use such data only when it is needed to provide you the App Service and only after you provided consent on your mobile platform. We use time related data to present your sleep data in alignment with your mobile device.
Sometimes the operating system of your mobile device may require that you provide us with a permission to access specific functionality of your Device as a technical precondition for the functioningof the App or the underlying operating system. For example the Android operating system may require that you provide permission for the App to access the location of your Device in order to function nearby Bluetooth devices. If this is the case, Philips will not collect the personal data that is associated with the specific functionality for which you have provided the permission.
- This permission is a technical requirement for enabling the App to provide you with its functionality.
- We combine and use anonymized data to help us improve the content, functionality and usability of the App, device(s), our products and services and to develop new products and services.
- We may combine and use anonymized data collected from the device and App and share with other companies of the Philips Group and with trusted third parties.
- We may combine and use anonymized data to further scientific research related to sleep, for clinical or scientific publication purposes, such as peer-reviewed journals, white papers, or professional symposiums, which may be used for product marketing communication purposes.
If you purchase additional Philips connected devices we may combine the data from the devices within the App to improve your sleep experience and App functionality only after we have obtained your consent to do so.
- If you agree to receive promotional communications, you can expect to receive emails from us about other Philips products, services, events and offers. You can withdraw consent at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in any email.
Philips may use trusted third parties to provide services for the following:
- IT Providers
These providers deliver the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, transactional services and/or related technology required to run the sleep therapy device or the service provided. The App data is stored and used in Ireland.
- Cloud Providers
These providers deliver specific services for sending and receiving data between data centers/cloud repositories using secure electronic transfer methods.
- Other Service Providers
These providers deliver specific services for the device such as for App user messaging and user analytics. We use this data to help us improve the content, functionality and usability of the App and to develop new products and services.
Philips requires these service providers to provide a comparable level of protection of your personal data as Philips provides, to only process your personal for the specific purposes mentioned above, and to have access to the minimum amount of data they need to deliver a specific service.
If Philips allows a third party to transfer your personal data outside of your geographic region, we will take steps to protect your privacy rights through the use of contractual arrangements or other means, which will provide a comparable level of protection while the information is being processed by our third parties.
Philips will disclose personal data only under this privacy notice and/or when required by law.
Philips sometimes sells a business or a part of a business to another company. Such a transfer of ownership could include the transfer of your personal data directly related to that business, to the purchasing company.
Choices and rights
Please send an email to email@example.com to make use of your following choices and rights:
You may at any time request access to your personal data.
- Request correction
You may at any time request correction of your personal data.
You may at any time object to the processing of your personal data.
- Questions or complaints
You may at any time contact us if you have questions, complaints, concerns or suggestions.
- Withdrawal of consent
You can easily withdraw consent (for example opt-out for our marketing services, by using the ’unsubscribe’ button below each email we send you).
If available, you may request your personal data to be deleted at any time.
We protect your personal data
We recognize and take seriously our responsibility to protect the data you entrust to Philips from loss, misuse or unauthorized access. Philips uses a variety of security technologies and organizational procedures to help protect your data. For example, we implement access controls, use firewalls, use encryption and use secure servers.
Special information for parents
While the device and App is not generally targeted at children under the age of 14, it is Philips policy to comply with the law when it requires parent or guardian permission before collecting, using or disclosing personal data of children.
If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child who is under the age of 14 has provided us with his or her personal data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under the age of 14 has provided us with personal data, we will delete such data from our files.
Local specific information: Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our customers who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information about the personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of personal information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Changes to this Privacy Notice
The services that Philips provides may change from time to time without prior notice to you. For this reason, we reserve the right to change or add to this Privacy Notice from time to time.
We encourage you to check back often to review the latest version.
The new Privacy Notice will be effective upon posting, if you do not agree to the revised notice, you should alter your preferences, or consider stop using the App. By continuing to access or make us of our services after those changes become effective, you acknowledge you have been informed with the revised Privacy Notice.
You can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org