Philips achieves 240Hz performance from a 120Hz LCD panel using a 1D Dimming Scanning Backlight. This is an active CCFL backlight management system which illuminates in sync with the input video signal. Based on the input picture, it dims certain areas of the screen along the vertical axis if dark regions are present in the picture.
What benefits does it provide?
- Improved static contrast (Picture looks more vivid)
- Deeper Black Levels (Dark areas look black instead of grey)
- With Digital Natural Motion (DNM = Min or Max)
- Reduced motion smearing (Movement of objects on the screen is smoother)
- Judder Reduction (Reduces jerkiness of panning scenes in movies)