For those who love buffalo wings, but have kids at home who won’t eat them because they are too spicy for their liking, try a more sweet and savory sauce. The results are finger-licking good! This recipe will quickly become a family favorite, served with a green salad. Also a great recipe for getting the kids involved!
Servings 4, Preparation time 10 minutes, Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Chicken Wings:
- 3 pounds chicken wings (wings and drumettes)
- 1 pound white fleshed sweet potatoes (such as hannah variety)
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons avocado or melted ghee
- Scallions and sesame seeds for serving
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon unseasoned, organic rice vinegar (apple cider vinegar will work too)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1. Scrub the sweet potatoes and cut them into matchsticks. Leave the skin on for crispier fries. Place the fries in a bowl of ice water and set aside.
- 2. Toss the wings with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Place them in the basket of the air fryer and put the basket into the machine. Turn the temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and the timer to 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Stir honey, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sea salt, garlic, and ginger together in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook until reduced in volume by half, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the tomato paste. Set aside.
- 4. Toss the wings after 20 minutes, and cook for 10 minutes longer to crisp up.
- 5. Remove the wings and keep them warm in a low oven.
- 6. Drain the fries and dry them thoroughly. Toss them with avocado oil and a generous pinch of sea salt. Place the fries in the basket of the air fryer and put the basket into the machine. Set the temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and the timer to 10 minutes. Toss the fries and cook again for 5-10 minutes, until crispy.
- 7. Drizzle the sauce over the wings and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve hot with french fries and a side salad or vegetable of choice.
- Tip: If you’re short on time or just want a simple dinner, try serving the wings without the sauce.
- This recipe was created using the Philips Airfryer XXL (HD9630) by Danielle Walker from Against All Grain.