With the Philips Multi Cooker, prepare this homemade Lemony Chicken Barley Soup while you enjoy time with your family. Freeze leftovers so you have extra on-hand for those busy nights.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced and smashed with the back of a fork
- 2 medium carrots
- 1-2 stalks of celery
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill Pearl Barley
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt (and more to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper (and more to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 whole lemon, sliced in half and seeds removed
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Set Philips Multi Cooker to Brown/Sauté for 20 minutes and allow the bowl of the cooker to preheat until the timer on the panel shows 10 minutes remaining.
- At 10 minutes, add a bit of olive oil to the bowl along with the diced onions and finely chopped garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes (until fragrant), and then add chopped chicken. Continue to sauté, and add dry seasonings into the mixture. Stir to evenly coat the ingredients. Add the barley, broth, carrots, celery, and lemon.
- When the brown/sauté cycle ends, set the Philips Multi Cooker to Soup/Stew for 45 minutes, close the lid, and allow to cook.
- At the end of the cooking cycle, open the lid and, using tongs, remove the lemon halves - squeezing the juice from each lemon as you do. Discard the lemons.
- Stir the soup to fully integrate the lemon juice; and, add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- NOTE: a 1/4 cup of fresh diced parsley stirred in before serving is optional