You can control many things in your life, but you can’t control how naturally hairy you are. For every baby-faced Peter Pan, there’s a Teen Wolf with a body shaver tucked away in the bathroom cabinet. That’s where ‘manscaping’ comes in. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to tame your natural hairiness so that your look is more Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and less, you know, actual wolverine.
Here’s a quick guide to head-to-toe manscaping from the men’s grooming experts here at Philips Norelco. Whether you’re going for natural-but-kept or bodybuilder-style-smoothness, find all the need-to-know info on how to manscape your body hair below.
The golden rules of manscaping:
- Before and after care matters. Cleanse, exfoliate, shave, rinse, moisturize – in that order. It keeps your skin healthy and looking great.
- Heat is your friend. Opens up pores, so the hair can go quietly. Apply a hot towel before you shave or do it right after you jump out of the shower.
- Sharp, clean blades. This is a particular problem for manual razors, which can get dull in as little as five uses compared to a quality bodygroomer’s 4 months-to-two-years. Clean any tools you use regularly, and replace heads as needed.
- Use a clear shaving gel. Successful manscaping depends on good visuals – a clear gel lets you see what’s going on when you’re doing a wet shave.
- Use a tool designed for body grooming. Cuts, rashes, ingrown hairs – manual razors can do a lot of damage over the years. Electric bodygroomers and body hair trimmers are better for your skin, faster to use, and better at shaping.
- Balance is key. If you have very hairy arms, don’t sport a mysteriously hair-free chest. Maintain the balance.