Awesome Onion Blossom Airfryer Recipe
Airfry Awesome Onion Blossom – make this ultimate appetizer, crispy and crunchy, with less fat than the deep fried version!
Servings 10, Preparation time 2 hours, Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. vegetable oil
- 1. Cut onion into a blossom shape. Cut the end off one end of the onion, then make 8-12 cuts around the perimeter of the onion, opening it up. Cut out the very center of the onion so the petals fold out.
- 2. Soak onion in ice water for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile prepare the breadcrumb mixture and the egg wash.
- 4. In a medium bowl combine the breadcrumbs and spices, mix.
- 5. In another medium bowl, combine eggs and milk mixture and whisk well.
- 6. After onion has soaked, take it out of the ice water and onto a plate. Coat onion with egg wash. You can use a baster if you have one or use a spoon.
- 7. Once the onion is completely covered in egg wash, add the panko breadcrumb mixture. I used a sifter. You can use your hands to pat the breadcrumb mixture onto each of the onion “petals” until they are all covered.
- 8. Add 1/2 t. oil to the bottom of the Airfryer.
- 9. Then put the onion on the baking plate.
- 10. Optional – Cover the onion with a layer of aluminum foil to keep the edges from browning too much.
- 11. Set the AirFryer temperature to 400-degrees for 10 minutes.
- 12. Check the onion after 10 minutes to see how it’s cooking. The onion will take a variable amount of time, depending on how big it is.
- 13. Put the onion back in the Airfryer for another 5-10 minutes and check it. I cooked my onion for a total of 20 minutes because it was very large. Also the edges of the onion get very brown. If you don’t want them to get too brown, cover the onion with tin foil, creating a tent over it.
- This recipe was created using the Philips Airfryer, Compact Version (HD9621)
- Recipe created by Tator Tots & Jello